Wake Forest VFW Memorial Post 8466 was chartered in 1989 and meets the first Thursday of each month at the Wake Forest American Legion building, 225 E. Holding Avenue, Wake Forest, NC 27587. Dinner is served at 6 PM followed by our membership meeting at 7 PM. We currently have about 150 members and are very active in the community by supporting the following programs and events:
* We donate to the VA Durham Medical Center, The USO @ RDU, and the VFW National Children’s Home monthly.
* We assist the VA Durham Medical Center in their Volunteer programs. (Hospice, Data entry, and patient transportation).
* We collect funds every Saturday morning at the Wake Forest Farmers Market with monies going directly to the Wounded Warriors at Camp Lejeune and Ft. Bragg. Therefore, no overhead is involved. The Post also supports the Fisher Houses at Camp Lejeune and Ft. Bragg. (Fisher Houses are not government supported but rely on contributions. They provide a place for families of injured military to stay at no cost).
* We honor Deceased Veterans each year in the month of May when we participate in the National "Buddy Poppy Program”. We give away about 20,000 Poppies each year.
* The Post is represented on the Wake Forest Memorial Flag Raising Committee. This Committee organizes programs to honor a deceased Veteran from the area on the 1st Monday of each month from April thru October at the Wake Forest Town Hall. Wake Forest is one of only three communities in North Carolina to honor veterans in this manner.
* The Post is also represented on the Wake Forest Purple Heart Foundation (the first in the state). The Foundation honors those veterans wounded in combat with an annual banquet each August. This year the banquet will be held August 5th at Richland Creek Community Church.
* We host a ceremony on Memorial Day at the Heritage Veterans Memorial in honor of Veterans who gave their lives for their Country.
* We also assist the American Legion in various projects. Included are collecting school supplies for the families of soldiers deployed and providing funds for local High School Seniors to attend Boys State.
* Our Post was recognized by the Town of Wake Forest in 2014 as "Organization of the Year”.
* And, of course, be sure to look for our "Chuck Wagon" food truck at Town and local events!
In addition to the items already listed, we participate in VFW National programs which we consider of utmost importance since they relate to our local community.
* Scholarship opportunities are presented to local schools. Each year we organize essay contests for Middle and High School students. "Patriot’s Pen” for Middle School is a written essay on a Patriotic topic provided by VFW National. "Voice of Democracy” for High Schoolers is an oral presentation on a similar topic. These programs are judged on Post (local), District, Department (state) and National levels with the winners of each advancing to the next level. The entrants can win up to a $30,000 scholarship!
* Also under the direction of VFW National, we award "Teacher of the Year” to select Elementary, Middle, and High School teachers. Anyone can nominate individuals for these awards.
* Another National program that we participate in is recognizing "First Responders” annually. These include Police Officer, Firefighter, and EMT.
Wake Forest VFW Memorial Post 8466 has been recognized regularly by both Department and National with the prestigious "All-State” and "All-American” designations for their efforts in supporting Veterans and their Community. We demonstrate on a continuing basis that No One Does More For Veterans